So far in the Foundations program, the focus has been on the wellness of the individuals you support. Your own wellness is equally as important. Individuals get the best quality service when the staff who support them are emotionally and physically healthy.
As a community service worker, it is important to practise self-care strategies that help you maintain balance in your life. This ensures you can:
- "bounce back" from stressful situations and crises,
- manage ongoing stress effectively, and
- recognize and take action when you see the early signs of burnout.
This module will teach you to identify situations that are stressful for you and how to practise self-care to stay well, focused, and productive. Taking advantage of opportunities for ongoing learning and personal and professional growth will help you to be balanced and healthy in your work and home life.
After completing this module, you will be able to:
- Identify the physical and emotional symptoms of stress.
- Define and give examples of the different types of stressors.
- Explain why stress is not created by situations or events, but by the meanings given to these events.
- Describe various strategies for managing work-related stress.
- Explain what is meant by "burnout" and identify its early warning signs.
- Develop a personal action plan for ongoing professional development.